Contact and Information
The James Turrell "Twilight Epiphany" Skyspace is a unique public art structure that can be rented to accommodate private events, weddings, engagements, corporate outings, and private viewings of the sunrise and sunset light sequences. The Skyspace is an artwork, not a venue, and therefore it must be treated respectfully and rentals must adhere to the guidelines for public use (below). Our team is happy to accommodate unique rental requests as long as they follow the guidelines described below. Please note the sunset time on the date of your event if you are considering including the light sequence in your event. Rentals may include the entire Skyspace or the Lower Viewing Area only. If you or your group are interested in the Skyspace for your event, please review the guidelines below.
Notes on Private Events:
- Food and drinks are prohibited within the Skyspace and no exceptions can be made for private events. Cocktail service, catering, and tables/tents may be set up outside the Skyspace.
- Photography is prohibited within the Skyspace during sunset and sunrise light sequences. Photographs and video taken outside the Skyspace are always allowed.
- The Skyspace may accommodate a maximum of 120 guests (44 in the Lower Viewing Area and 76 in the Upper Mezzanine). For Lower Viewing Area rentals, the Upper Mezzanine is still open to the public.
- The Skyspace is not equipped with a sound system for events. Live, performed music may be contracted through the Shepherd School of Music, after a rental contract has been signed.
- Décor, such as furniture, candles, flowers, speakers, or projectors, are not permitted in the Skyspace or on the grass mound. Floral arrangements and approved décor may be placed on the plaza adjacent to the Skyspace.
- For weddings, hand-held bouquets are permitted but they may not be thrown within the Skyspace.
- Catering services are the responsibility of renters and may be coordinated with Rice Public Art staff.
- Private event rentals confirmed less than two weeks in advance of the desired date will incur an additional fee.
Rentals are for a 4-hour period, including setup and breakdown, and may take place during the day or in the evening before, during, or after the sunset sequence. Rates vary depending on day of the week, daytime or evening, and whether you choose to use the entire Skyspace or the Lower Viewing Area only.
Private Event Inquiries: For rental rates, or to inquire about your private event at the Skyspace, please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lower Viewing Area (sequence only) or Entire Skyspace (events):
Number of guests:
Event host name:
Event host address:
Event host phone number:
Event host email: